Whittier Reads is an annual citywide literary event that encourages members of the Whittier community to read the same book at the same time and then discuss it in book groups and participate in special programs which are offered at our Libraries.
Whittier Public Library Foundation has been the sponsor for this community wide program from its inception since 2004 and has provided funding for the implementation of this program.
The Whittier Public Library in partnership with the Foundation will offer a variety of programs throughout the month of April for the community.
Previous Whittier Reads book selections:
– The Friendly Persuasion by Jessamyn West
– Funny in Farsi by Firoozeh Dumas
– Farewell to Manzanar by Jeanne Wakatsuki Houston and James D. Houston
– My California: Journeys by Great Writers
– The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri
– Gonzalez and Daughter Trucking Co. by María Amparo Escandón
– L.A. Noir by John Buntin
– My Life in France by Julia Child
– Charlie Chan by Yunte Huang
– Gloryland by Shelton Johnson
– Until Tuesday by Luis Carlos Montalván
– Mary Coin by Marisa Silver
– On Gold Mountain by Lisa See
– Tangled Vines by Frances Dinkelspiel