The purpose of the Whittier Public Library Foundation is to help secure and maintain the funding required for the Whittier Public Library to realize its mission. It seeks to do that through private and public fundraising, and to serve as a conduit between the Library and the changing needs of a diverse community.
Why Your Membership Counts
Raising Funds for Capital Improvements to Whittwood Branch
Our members and supporters contributed more than half a million dollars to our campaign. These are some of the enhancements that were funded:
- Community Room ― Furnishings and equipment, including state-of-the-art audio-visual equipment for Library programs and community events.
- Family Reading Room ― East Whittier History Mural, Sky Scene, Orange Tree, “Portholes,” shelving, rocking chair and other special furnishings.
- Young Adult Study Center, Children’s and Adults’ Reading Areas ― Chairs, settees, stools, and pillows.
Sponsoring Annual Reading Program
Your membership has enabled the Foundation to sponsor Whittier Reads, the Library’s citywide community reading program, every year since 2004.
Supporting Programs and Services
Your membership enables the Foundation to provide ongoing support for Summer Reading Club, author visits, speakers’ series, films, the Library’s annual spring tea, and other other programs and services. Shown on this page are a few of the writers whose visits the Foundation has sponsored.
Funding Up-to-Date Technology
Your membership enables the WPL Foundation to help provide essential technological tools for the community. At the Whittwood Branch, the Foundation paid for the digital information message board as well as for all sixteen new laptops.
Benefits of Membership
These are some of the benefits, tangible and intangible, of membership ―
- Investing in the changing information needs of the community
- Supporting public access to information, literacy, and life-long learning
- Helping all ages of Whittier residents
- Tax Benefits
WPL Foundation is a 501(c)(3) charitable organization. Contributions are tax deductible.